|Are You Ready? - Preparedness Guide Usage
The main reason to use this guide is to help protect yourself and your family in the event of an emergency. Through applying what you have learned in this guide, you are taking the necessary steps to be ready when an event occurs.
Every citizen in this country is part of a national emergency management system that is all about protection–protecting people and property from all types of hazards. Think of the national emergency management system as a pyramid with you, the citizen, forming the base of the structure. At this level, you have a responsibility to protect yourself and your family by knowing what to do before, during, and after an event. Some examples of what you can do follow:
• Know the risks and danger signs.
• Purchase insurance, including flood insurance, which is not part of your
• Develop plans for what to do.
• Assemble a disaster supplies kit.
• Volunteer to help others.
• Put your plan into action.
• Help others.
• Follow the advice and guidance of officials in charge of the event.
• Repair damaged property.
• Take steps to prevent or reduce future loss.
You will learn more about these and other actions you should take as you progress through this guide.